Monday, November 26, 2007

Build day #1

Wow it was so awesome to be back in the community again. It was great to see all of the homes painted in vibrant greens,blues, yellows and pinks. Seeing all the children simply melted my heart because they are one of the reasons why I do this. I met a 3 yr old boy today who just loves to hug and cuddle. I wish that I could bring him home. I took a photo of the 92 yr old gogo (we built her home in May) for her to hang on the wall of her new home. She said that when she passes on from this world, that the rest of her family will be able to remember her through the picture. That was true for the Madondo family who lost their caregiver in July. I took a photo for that family as well. She left behind 8 orphans two of which are HIV positive. It was very sad to hear the now 90% of pregnant women in Kwazulu Natal (the are that we are working in) is HIV positive and that 40% of South Africa's population is infected with HIV/AIDS. But because of these homes we are giving 51 orphans the hope of a better life.

No comments: