Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Middleburg (Mhluzi..in Zulu)

Sawubona (hello)!!! It's been 2 weeks and I do apologize for not updating my blog. I have been in Middleburg and internet access is limited. I have to go into town a few days a week just to check emails. I did have access to a dial-up connection but it was not working the past week. I am doing well and yes, I have been taking Zulu lessons....Ngifunda isiZulu ( I am learning Zulu). It will take lots of repetition. I am staying in the township with Rev. and Mrs. Khumalo. They have been wonderful host and have opened their home and hearts to me. The township is a mixture of big houses with squatter homes scattered throughout.

My first week I spent time with a group call Caring Friends. They are a group of women who do home care for those infected with HIV/AIDS as well as other chronic illnesses. They also look after OVC (orphans & vulnerable children). They also do outreach in the community. I was able to go with them to hand out condoms one day. They are a wonderful group of women.

My second week was spent with LoveLife, which is a HIV/AIDS campaign that changes the behavior and attitude of young people. We spent a week at the Manyano Primary School and did some lessons in the classrooms. I have met so many wonderful people in Middleburg and they are helping to make it a great experience.

I am trying lots of new foods. One of the main things that they eat is called PAP. It is a hard porridge and is eaten with meat and would take the place of rice or potatoes in the U.S. It will take some getting used to. Vegetables are a main staple, especially beet root. I am trying.

I was surprised to see that almost everyone has a cell phone. Many people even have satellite on their houses. So I am able to watch U.S. shows. So Things are going very well. Thank you for all of the prayers.

Sala kahle (stay well)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Glad to hear all is well!
Jen