Monday, December 21, 2009

Invictus

I saw the movie "Invictus" today and in my opinion it was a very powerful story. Of course the critics can always have something negative to say. I highly recommend seeing it. The angle that Clint Eastwood took and the story that it told was perfect. Nelson Mandela after being released from prison after 26 yrs became president of South Africa. Now as the leader of a country divided he looked to the captain of a rugby team to unite the nation. Many opposed him, but he did what was necessary and he saw his country come together. In spite of the evils of apartheid which kept him imprisoned for so long, he approached his presidency with a forgiving heart. The message that I got was that if we seek vengeance against those who harm us them we are no better than they are. Instead we should forgive.

The movie got it's title from the poem Invictus by William Ernest Henley. The word Invictus comes from the latin word meaning unconquerable. Nelson Mandela first discovered this poem when he was locked in a very small cell during his time on Robbin Island. In the movie he said that it gave him the strength to stand when all he wanted to do was fall. Mandela shared this poem with the captain of the rugby team, Francois Pineaar before the start of the world cup where 43 million South Africans stood in support of their team the Spring Boks. I share this poem with you.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.



No comments: