Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Body of Christ....

As I reflect on the events of today and try to find the words to share it with you, these words come to mind. "And they'll know we are Christians by our love by our love, Yeah they'll know we are Christians by our love." (Jars of Clay) Those words sum up the awesome experience I had this morning. Julia and I accompanied Pastor Thwala, members of the Ntshongweni Lutheran church, the Roman Catholic church and the Ethopian Holy Church of Zion to visit 74 year old Gogo Ndlovu. She resides in Ntshongweni but due to illness she is currently living with her daughter in the rural community of KwaNyuswa. Pastor Thwala visited Gogo Ndlovu to give her Holy Communion.

As we arrived and began greeting Gogo Ndlovu, tears of joy ran down her face to see us there. It made my heart smile especially when Gogo Jali, Dube and Mhkize embraced her. We sat down and started singing. Even thought I am still struggling with learning Zulu, I was able to sing the songs. Pastor Thwala gave a wonderful sermon using John 4:10-15 as the text, then we all received Holy Communion. It was a wonderful feeling worshipping together as the Body of Christ. One of the most amazing things about being here in South Africa is getting to worship with Christians from different cultures.

After the service we spent some time in fellowship and Gogo Ndlovu was very happy. The other gogos sat with her and continued to talk while Julia and I spent time getting to know the ladies from the church in Ntshongweni a little better. It soon came time to leave and we all hugged Gogo Ndlovu and sang as we walked out. As we walked back to the taxi Gogo Jali said to me ngiyakuthando ( I love you in Zulu ). It amazing how your presence can touch the lives of others. It was a wonderful way to start my day.

"And they'll know we are Christians by our love by our love, Yeah they'll know we are Christians by our love"

No comments: