Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sew, sew, sew....


This past Wednesday I taught the sewing class with help from Julia. On Monday we went to Gori's shop (she is the lady that usually teaches the class) for a lesson. She had to prepare for a craft show this week and so Julia and I were up for the challenge of teaching class. Our task was to sew small purses which included putting on a zipper. Yikes!!!! What was I thinking. Not the sort of thing I learned in home economics ages ago.

Wednesday arrived and we had the room set up with the machines and all the sewing notions. The ladies arrived and were very excited when I showed them what they would be making this lesson. They choose their patterns, pinned the zippers in place and were ready to sew, sew, sew. What a rocky start it was. My mind went blank and I could not remember how to get started. What side of the material was supposed to face up, was the zipper supposed to be face down? Help!!! So I picked up the phone and called Gori for a quick reminder. At this point I was so mad at myself for not being able to remember. I apologized to the ladies and asked for their patience. This was not going to defeat me. I reminded Constance (one of the ladies in the class) that she forgot to pray and so we stopped what we were doing and she led us in prayer. After that it all came back to me and we went full speed ahead. We had so much fun and the ladies were all pleased with their purses. Whew!!!! I'm glad that it all turned out well in the end.

No comments: